What is a Core Participant?
A Core Participant is a person who (or organisation which), in the Investigator’s view, has a particularly close connection to the Investigation’s work. It is intended that Core Participants will participate in the Investigation in various ways, for example receiving advance disclosure of documents, attending hearings and suggesting lines of questioning to be pursued by Counsel to the Investigation at the discretion of the Investigator. In some circumstances the Investigator may permit a Core Participant to attend to hear a witness give evidence, although they will not be able to ask questions of witnesses directly.
What criteria is the Investigation using to designate Core Participants?
Although the Investigation is not being held under the Inquiries Act 2005, it has decided to use the procedure set out in Rule 5 of the Inquiry Rules 2006 in order to designate Core Participants. The procedure will be as follows:
Core Participant procedure
- The Investigator may designate a person as a core participant at any time during the course of the Investigation, provided that person consents to being so designated.
- In deciding whether to designate a person as a core participant, the Investigator must in particular consider whether—
- the person played, or may have played, a direct and significant role in relation to the matters to which the Investigation relates;
- the person has a significant interest in an important aspect of the matters to which the Investigation relates; or
- the person may be subject to explicit or significant criticism during the Investigation proceedings or in the report, or in any interim report.
- A person ceases to be a core participant on—
- the date specified by the Investigator in writing; or
- the end of the Investigation.
How can I apply to be a Core Participant?
Please write to the Investigation at email@example.com setting out why you fall within criteria (2) (a), (b) or (c) above by Friday 13 July 2018 at 4pm.
What happens if I don’t apply by the deadline because it only becomes apparent I may be a Core Participant later?
The Investigation will keep the question of who is a Core Participant under review up to its conclusion, including reserving the right to decide that a person is no longer a Core Participant.