The Independent QC Investigation has today published a call for evidence relating to its terms of reference, which are:
"To conduct an investigation into the First Minister’s actions and decisions in relation to Carl Sargeant’s departure from his post as Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children and thereafter."
Paul Bowen QC said:
"I intend to carry out a thorough and independent investigation into the First Minister’s actions and decisions in relation to Carl Sargeant’s departure from his post.
"I hope that anyone who can provide evidence relating to the Investigation’s terms of reference will do so fully and as soon as possible, so that my team and I are able to complete all phases of our work within the six-month timescale set for us.
"Given the sensitive nature of this investigation, my hearings will not be held in public or open to the media and I do not intend to make further comment in advance of publication of my report towards the end of the year.
"I would particularly like to thank Mr Sargeant’s family for their patience and participation to date at what must be an extremely difficult time for them."
The Investigation intends to complete its work by the end of the year, when a report will be tabled in the Welsh Assembly and published.
Notes to Editors
- Media enquiries about the Independent QC Investigation should go to firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 07594 959905.
- Carl Sargeant was a Member of the Welsh Assembly and Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children until 3 November 2017. He died on 7 November 2017.
- On 10 November 2017, the First Minister of Wales, Carywn Jones, announced his intention to appoint a senior barrister (known as a ‘Queen’s Counsel’) to investigate his actions and decisions in relation to Carl Sargeant.
- More information is available on the IQCI website
- You can sign up for updates on the Inquiry website or follow the Inquiry on twitter @independentQCI